Saturday 9 August 2014

Access for all Ski Race & Weekend before Hintertux

Hi Guys,

This is the start of my journey.

I have just got back from the Access for All Ski Race at Milton Keynes. Today was a slalom event for DSUK (Disabled Snow Sports UK) in the snozone indoor venue. This was the first time I have skied at Milton Keynes and also the first time I got to to try out my new slalom skis in a race, so all in all a good experience.

Although this was a fun race and was more of an opportunity to meet some of the guys I will be training with in Hintertux, I tried to push the boundaries and really push my speed and see what I could get out of my new ski's. At some times this prevailed but I did bail a few times and taste some powder.

At the end of the race I was around 7 seconds behind the paralympic skier, lots of things to learn and I am really looking forward to the camp away.

Everyone seemed really nice and was great to meet some of the team.

On Monday I fly to Munich then onto Hintertux Austria for two weeks training with the British Disabled Ski Team. This is my first camp, the camp operates on around 4 hours ski training in the morning with 2 hours of strength & conditioning training in the afternoon.  The camp will focus more on the Giant Slalom (GS) racing as we are unable to practice this in England.

This will also be my first time on a pair of Giant Slalom ski's, the skis are a lot longer than any ski I have ski'd before and have to be a specific length in order to fit in with the regulations.

I am currently sat waiting for my gear to dry so I can finish my packing tomorrow(Sunday).

Excited with streaks of trepidation.

Alex
x


(image courtesy of http://loveallblogs.wordpress.com/06-02-12-love-lifestyle-weekly-showcase/)

No comments:

Post a Comment