Saturday 17 January 2015

Les Deux Alpes

Hey guys,

Sorry this is a bit later than planned, I had quite a lot of uni work to come back to, so that took over. 

First of all, Les Deux Alpes was amazing. We were lucky to get a dumping of powder before we got there.   The weather was stunning all week; every day was glorious sunshine, except the last day where it snowed.   Les Deux Alpes has a variety of different slopes and I was lucky enough to have got a hotel right next to the main gondola (like a cable car) so I did not have to trek far with all my gear.

I met my university Ski Team out there. There were roughly 40 – 50 of us that had come over from Preston for a week in the Alp’s. There were planned socials on and off the mountain. There were some interesting fancy dress nights, ranging from Rubik’s cube night (I must say I was the only dressed up on that night, the team forgot to pass the memo on) to toga night. Although these were nights out and the focus was on having a good time, this did not detract away from my skiing, although made it a little more difficult at times.  I skied roughly 4 -5 hours a day and was on the slope for roughly 10:30am every day.  I tried to plan time for recovery and rest after I had been skiing in order to maximise my performance on the slope for the next day.

The first couple of days I focused on just getting myself settled on the hill and used to skiing some of the steeper runs, whilst also using my new outriggers. After a couple of days, I alternated between my Giant Slalom skis and my Slalom ski’s, working on the goals I explained in my earlier blog.

The new outriggers worked a treat; I found I was able to hold an edge on the ice easier and found that the turning was more reactive. I was able to get a bit of feedback back to my Chief Engineer (Dad) for some tinkering when we next get time together. I also found that, although the weight had dramatically increased it did not bother me too much.   There were a couple more tests I wanted to try (removing the break pin and the comb break) but due to the icy conditions and the poor visibility on the last day, I didn’t want to risk it but I will be conducting these at Chillfactore when I get the chance. 

My goal for the Slalom skill’s was to work on my consistency, this involved finishing my turns and getting a stronger edge angle. I believe this was a success; it was great to get out on the hill and just ski. There was some really nice runs, so I could play around and challenge myself. 

I found it quite difficult to get back on the Giant Slalom ski’s these are considerably bigger than my Slalom ski’s, I struggled with the tips of my ski’s crossing. After a hard day, I soon reassessed my goals for them.  Over the week, I just worked on skidded turns, keeping the skis separate and trying to get a better position over the ski.  Towards the end of the week I managed to do just that and was consistently skiing some steeper blue runs without the tips crossing (which is a start J.)
I have taken everything that I have learnt/development over the week and I am putting them into my skiing lessons and race training to Chillfactore. Tomorrow (18th January) is the first day I get to try the new outriggers in slalom gates, I am hoping from the feedback and the experience I gained from Les Deux Alpes this will make a massive improvement, I will report back when I know more.

Overall a great week, missing it already.

Speak to you soon
Alex
X

If you would like to donate to my cause, please click here

or Contact me on alexclarke1992@outlook.com






No comments:

Post a Comment