Saturday 14 November 2015

New House, New Job, Still Skiing

Hi ,

It has been a long time since my last blog but a lot has changed.

I found myself rushing here there and everywhere trying to juggle many commitments. On Sunday the 13th September I came back from a week training in Wittenburg and moved into my new house, on the Monday I started my new job and the Friday I was flying up to Stirling for a weekend training camp provided by the Scottish Institute for Sport.

Wittenburg was a great experience; I found some amazing drills that really helped my body understand the position it needed to be in. I found myself feeling more and more comfortable on the bulletproof ice as the week went on.

Stirling dry land camp (an event organised by Scottish Institute for Sport) was a milestone for myself. We were given tests to judge our maximum heart rate and were assessed on our overall movement patterns. On a static bike we were set to a specific cadence and every minute we had to increase the resistance until we could go no further. I dropped out on the 18th minute but felt positive, as I would have done a lot less a few months previous. This was also the first time I have been able to jump freely off the floor and land using only my legs, which was a big confidence booster (never to old to learn, its only taken 23 years to learn to jump.) See video here.


I have moved down to Basildon Essex and I am commuting into Central London every day for my Job at the Post Office. It was a hard change at first and is something I am still getting used to.  I found myself getting really run down and tired from the commute but after a few changes, such as getting taxis instead of being my usual stubborn self, I acclimatised.

The Job itself is great. I am on a graduate programme at Post Office Limited; the programme is a 24-month contract, working in different areas of the Business. I am really enjoying it and finding it a great challenge. There are 6 graduates in this cohort and we get on really well (pictured). We started with a month induction, which involved getting to know each other and gaining a better understanding of the business. At the moment I am working in Financial Services but around March time next year I will move into Commercial and then into Network 6 months later.

At the moment I am currently sat on a Ferry on my way to Landgraaf (Holland) for the first race of the season. Those of you that have been following my blog for a while now, will remember Landgraaf from last year. I am really excited to get back in the gates, it seems like an eternity since I was out in Wittenburg in September.

In the plethora of work I have still managed to keep skiing every week, sometimes driving back in the early hours of the morning to then get up at 6am for the following days work (whist isn’t always easy.)

In the gym I have been training hard, I have adopted the advice from the dry land training camps in Stirling and Bishom Abbey. I’ve tried to make them part of my daily routine. I have been focussing on more body weight type movements to get more activation from my muscles and to create a more efficient body position and walking gait.  I have noticed the benefits in my every day life and I am feeling more stable and like I have more control over my lower body (which is always a positive.)

The first race of the season is on the 17th November. My goal for this race is to finish and get some points on the board. I am keen to get some practice in before my race and get the feel for the snow (ice). I have been rummaging through my old videos and decided to make a progress video from last year to this year. I was astonished by the difference and feel motivated to keep on pushing forward.  Click here if you would like to see that video.

So, I will leave it there for now, No doubt I will update you after my race. Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

Cheers
Alex


x

 If anyone would like to sponsor my cause please click here

Or email me on alexclarke1992@outlook.com 









No comments:

Post a Comment